Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Making the Brown Months Bearable

Colorado has many good qualities. But one of the things I don't love about living in Colorado are the brown months. Brown. B-R-O-W-N. Shades of brown as far as your eyes can see. What are these "brown months" you ask? Well, the brown months are the months that seem to endlessly extend forever after all the plants go dormant and lose their leaves, the grass dies and becomes scratchy and ugly, the shrubbery is reduced to unfriendly-looking sticks, and the only "green" to be seen are the black pines, which don't really count because they are only a dark brownish green. I don't even like travelling to places I can see the Plains this time of year. It is unsettling, the vast browness stretching on and on. And sadly, with our snowfall this year at less than 65% of its usual amount we have had very few "white" days to break up the monotony of the brown months, and if our water is rationed this summer, we could have brown months ahead too. At least the trees will be green then....

And along with the brown, it's cold. The sun is out shining brightly, almost tauntingly. There is not a pretty little cloud to be seen, to break up the endless blue sky, but it is still downright frigid. When the temperatures seem like they are climbing, you get excited for at least some time outside, even if it is brown. But then the wind blows and it is like a frozen slap in the face. It makes the brown so much worse that cold cruel sun.

I know sometimes people in the Northwest can get the winter blues from all the overcast days. The grey skies that come day after day, but I was never like that there. I actually loved them, the various shades of grey, all the different ways the rain can fall. I feel the winter blues more here, as one cold, brown sunny day carries forward into the next. I find myself dreaming of the stormy spring afternoons that will come, thunderstorms, high winds and all. At least they will bring us some clouds and the delicious rain drops that I love so much for a bit of the day. And will hopefully bring us some green.

However, even with all the frustrating, annoying brown, occaisionally we get a day like today that makes it all bearable. The high today hit above 70. Even with the breeze, it was warm and lovely. We walked to the park in tee shirts and met with friends, and I was so sad when it was time to pack up and head home. So when we got home I took my book outside to read in the sun while Josh jumped his cares away on the trampoline and Luke napped in his crib. I even have a nice little farmer's burn on my arms. Thank you, warm sun, for the break in the cold, brown days!

8 comments:

Lehis said...

Yuck!! That is brown. Holy cow! I am getting a little sick of the rain here in Cali, I am itching to take my kiddos to the park. But with the rain, comes BEAUTIFUL greens. I love the spring here. Everything gets green and starts to bloom with gorgeous colors. We live around lots of hills and I love seeing them that bright shade of green. I just love it!! So... I will be especially thinking of you Colleen. But atleast you can go outside...

Candace said...

You are "dancing in the rain" again! Keep it up, for in two weeks, hopefully we'll be in green and sun! love...

Cailean said...

That would indeed be hard. We are so used to green all year up here...but like you said it's making you appreciate other types of weather more! Those are great photos!

runningfan said...

I sure love the sunshine and blue sky here, but I definitely miss the green!! Warm days in the park at this time of year help, but also make me itchy for color, too. Wish I could have enjoyed the park with you today.

Alissa Maxwell said...

We share your brown, BROWN, B-R-O-W-N winters here in the High Desert. I too miss the raining gray and GREEN of Seattle. We know spring is around the corner because today we got rain, snow, blizzard, hail, and blue sky all in 12 hours!

The Siple Family said...

Wow that is brown. People always say how green it is up here. I can now see what they are talking about. What a awesome day! I love the warm air of summer. I am ready for that here. They are talking snow for Thursday. We shall see!

kendra said...

I loved the park! I wish I would've had my camera. Anyway, park days with friends are the best.

Just catching up - what the * is my face doing as the "worm"? I gotta see that video! Seriously, soon. Tomorrow?!

And thanks again for watching the kids. We had a great night too. We're looking forward to Saturday. I'll stock up on chicken nuggets!

ashley said...

You are a true blue seattle girl if you miss the gray and rain! It would benefit me greatly if I shared the same affinity for our winter weather as you do :)