When we were getting ready to move here, a friend of mine gave me a card that said, "Miles don't matter!" While it was not Jen who gave it to me, Jen has truly lived that saying! We have shared so much in the 8 years that I have known her, heartbreaks and triumphs, but I think the thing that solidified our friendship the most was her first visit out here the year after we moved. Since then she has come every year, living proof indeed that the miles do not matter to our friendship. I am so grateful for her and the joy she brings to my life! She is a soul sister to me!
A few months ago I got a text from Jen's husband, saying that with a big birthday coming up for her (the 19th anniversary of her 21st birthday), he wanted to surprise her with something special and he thought the best surprise would be a Colorado visit! Well, I nearly fell off the back of the treadmill in my excitement to text back that, yes, I did think that would be awesome and that I already could not wait, so no backing out. YAY! Thank you, Dave! We both were concerned with our ability to keep it a surprise...but it wasn't me who let the cat out of the bag! Soon after the planning, Jen knew, and we were both counting down the days. Then, a few weeks ago, Jen decided that Hannah might never speak to her again if she wasn't included in the trip, so they bought her a ticket too, but didn't tell her about it until they were on their way to the airport to come. Ben asked every day, "Does she know yet?" Hannah was thrilled!!
It was a sweet, happy visit. It always is. I was telling my sister today that one of the things I love about being with Jen is that we can just both be. We don't have to have a huge agenda, other than a dinner at PF Changs, which is a must for every visit. We can just be together, doing the things we do: laughing over a funny facebook status, sitting together reading books, watching a show, driving the kids' activity drop-off/pick-up route, getting pedis, going for a run, seeing a movie in the theater--or two, running errands, making caramels...whatever, and we fill it all with non-stop talk or quiet togetherness. It's perfect. And of course, the boys love Hannah. She fits in our family, no problem. If they could pick a sister, it would be Hannah! Which works, since she and Ben really look like they could be twins.
4 comments:
I LOVE YOU!!! I can't wait til July!
you guys always have so much fun!
Aw...good friends are the best. You're lucky to have one who will travel for you!:)
So glad they were able to visit! What fun!
Post a Comment