Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Luke's Best Pal

Meet Isaac.  He is Luke's best buddy.  They met last year in my preschool class and instantly clicked.  They are two peanut-sized boys in a pod.  I love to watch them play together.  They have so many intersecting interests, from Squinkies to superheroes.  I think Isaac gets Luke, and Luke gets Isaac.  They rarely disagree, and when they do, they work it out quickly and on their own. 

A couple of months ago, Isaac spent a weekend with us when his parents went away for a birthday trip for his mom.  Isaac and Luke attended one of Ben's soccer games, sitting in two little blue chairs, sharing a blanket to keep them warm from the March wind, pouring over a Lego Club magazine full of pictures of Lego superheroes.  I don't think they looked up from its pages once.  It was a snapshot of a great friendship: two best buddies spending some time together, sharing the things they love which allows them to forget about what the rest of the world is doing for just a little while and be content. The world would be a happier place if everyone had a friend like that.

Which is why it is so sad that Isaac has to move away to California this summer.  We are squeezing out every last minute of buddy time until the month is up and Isaac and his family move on. And by squeezing, I mean Isaac and his three siblings and his mom are moving in with us for a few weeks starting Sunday so they can finish out the school year before hitting the road.  Luke is going to be in heaven.  I think Isaac will feel similarly.

And when their time is up, it's not just Luke who is going to be singing the blues.  We are ALL going to miss Luke's best pal Isaac, because, really, everyone needs a friend like that.  I am so glad Luke had him.  Even if it was just for a short while.

2 comments:

Candace said...

What a wonderful story and sad at the same time. Enjoy and keep connected!!

Jen said...

Oh My. That totally brings back memories of Hannah and Ben at that age when you guys stayed with us then left for CO Springs. I am so glad Luke has Isaac for a little longer.