Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Born from Boredom

One of the things I love most about summer is the opportunity for the boys to get bored.  No!  I'm not crazy!  During the school year, with our go-go-go schedule, there is little time for them to just be.  Sure, sometimes boredom causes bickering or whining, but from boredom also comes their most creative inventions to kill the boredom.  Here are some from this summer so far. I love seeing what they come up with! 

One morning, after I slowly got myself out of bed at 7:45, I found the three oldest boys sitting around the kitchen island designing their own amusement park roller coasters.  The one below is Zac's but they each had one, and all included many loop the loops, climbed 1000's of feet in the air and went forward and backward, up and down!  They sounded pretty thrilling! 
On another day, while waiting for friends from school who they had invited over for the morning to arrive, Zac and Ben built a "haunted house" for Josh and his pal, Trevor.  Ben's spooky idea was to cut a hole in a plate and put his head through it, then hide his body by the table.  Zac covered him in a blanket and then pretended to prepare dinner for the haunted house guests.  Ultimately he unveiled Ben's head and said, "Dinner is served," in a creepy voice.  And Ben complimented that by giving an evil look and saying, "Good evening."  It was hilarious!
More than once, on a boring summer afternoon the boys have put together a "clue trail" hunt.  One brother comes up with clues that lead the others from spot to spot, ultimately to a prize of some kind.  The clue below led the hunters to the swing set, since they love to jump off the swings and shout, "Blast off!" 

My favorite boredom buster I failed to get a picture of.  The boys rigged a "zipline" for their Lego guys from the upper balcony overlook down to a chair in the family room.  The Lego guys were hooked on by their feet, then sent zooming down to the bottom.  Along the way, the other boys placed Lego obstacles and other Lego men.  Points were given based on which Lego construction won, the "zipper" or the obstacle, be it man or building.  It was great!

Not only is it fun to see their creativity come alive as the boredom grows, but I also love to see the boys enjoy each other as friends.  It is one of my parenting goals to help them recognize each other as first friends, best friends. Friends come and friends go, but brothers they will always be!

3 comments:

The Nedrys said...

Seriously, your boys are so cool! What fun and awesome ideas! I hope Jack has such a creative and fun imagination when he older.

maynardmoments said...

Wow, they are so creative! It sounds to me like you goal of having your boys be friends, is well underway. You are a great momma.

Candace said...

I keep saying WOW! I should have a larger vocabulary: Amazing! Marvelous! Fantastic! Clever! Creative! I wish I could be l ike Steve Martin in Roxanne...