Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What Can Brown Do For You?

So far, not much.

You know how they say never to make drastic changes to your hair during pregnancy? I think the same is true during the brown months of Colorado wintertime...for me anyway.

I get a touch of the winter blues here in Colorado Springs. Too bright, too windy, too dead and brown, too blah. It's mostly a feeling of restlessness, like I need something to do or look forward to. I also feel, just sometimes, a bit like I think a slug would feel. Just smooshable, sponchy and blechy. (spell check doesn't like my word choices to describe slug feelings) So what do I do about it? I keep myself busy so I can't think about it too much, find fun things to do with friends and family, pretend I am going on a vacation to Bora Bora, make mental lists of all the great things in my life, go to the mountains that I love when I can, take bubble baths a lot, read books or watch TV shows and movies that allow me to escape for awhile, dye my hair...what?! Oh no!!! Say it isn't so!

But it is. I've said in a previous post that I wasn't ready for the cut. And thank goodness I stuck to those guns, even though the cut was calling me much like it called Molly Ringwald in For Keeps. But my roots were growing out, my hair is as blah as the weather, and there is no time in my life for a touch up, so what did I do? I found a box color that looked close to my root color and just did the whole mop in light brown a.k.a. Feria's "Crystal Brown." EEEEEEEE!It's not awful (except for the mostly unnoticeable--to anyone but my worst critic: me, and probably a trained hairdresser with a good eye--places where the highlighting had stripped my hair's ability to absorb color so it's a little dingy) In fact, I've seen people since I did it and none of them have commented or noticed I even changed it, so maybe it's just me. Although I was wearing a ponytail, so that might be the excuse there. I've convinced myself that I like it...sometimes. No, it's really not that bad. But overall, seeing myself brown reminded me that I like to be blond-er. No specific reason. I just like it better.

I think by summer, when green has returned to the land and I'm feeling more chipper and ready to live like a blond again, I will get some highlights. But for now change is good, a shake up to the restlessness, a bit of difference in my life during these long months that seem to stretch on and on. So the hair now matches the season. Brown.

8 comments:

runningfan said...

well, i like it! my sis is always a brunette in the winter and a blondie in the summer. fun changes!

Tiffanie said...

Looks great from here (and you have lovely natural wave too!)

Alea said...

You look hot as a blond, but I've always preferred your hair brown. I love it :)

Jen said...

I like the brown but then I specifically die my light brown hair dark brown. Maybe we can do highlights again when I am there in 6 weeks. Yes just 6 more weeks. YAY!

maynardmoments said...

Funny how these winter months of blah can get us to make changes we otherwise might not do.
I like the brown! You are the perfect candidate to pull off any hair style or color. Enjoy.

Angie said...

bad weather and boredom have been the motivation behind many of my hair changes.

jje said...

Brown in a box! You did it! Way to go!

Candace said...

It looks like a lovely shade of brown. Anything to perk up a (I was going to say gloomy, but that's not ture there) winter.