Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Boys' School, Will You Be My Valentine?

When we first were looking to move out here, every person we talked to, stranger or otherwise, and I mean EVERY, said that if it were possible we should buy our house in Colorado Springs School District 20. Because it came so highly recommended, and because we were able to find homes we could afford, we decided that the main location requirement for our home would be the District 20 school boundaries. Not only was that a very good choice, but we totally lucked into one of the most fabulous elementary schools as our neighborhood school.

I really love nearly everything about our school: the extracurricular activities it offers, the teaching staff, the administration, the PTO, the dedication to the students, the international community, the French immersion program, the students...the je ne sais quois, the school just has something about it that is fabulous.

This past week the kids have had so much fun at school I had to get it some of it down on the blog:

The kindergarten went all-out to celebrate the one hundred days of school mark yesterday. They were assigned to bring in a project involving 100 of the same thing or type of thing. Josh, my little chef-in-training, wanted to bring in 100 mini-cookies, so Adam helped him whip up a batch of hot cocoa cookies to share with the class. But then Josh decided to bring in something else, something that could last, something that could be displayed in the "100 Museum" his teacher has set up in the classroom for the next few weeks. So embracing his artist side, with just a little help from Mom, he put together a mosaic made with 100 pieces of paper. Ever since the chalk mural on the driveway he's really loved creating sunsets. There was a celebration of all they have learned, activities focusing on the number 100, food--hot cocoa cookies included, and so much fun. Isn't kindergarten great?!

The kindergarten also went on a field trip today to the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center to watch a children's play. He said it was a play about using your imagination. He loved it!
Earlier this week we got to watch Ben on the Channel 11 Morning News saying the Pledge of Allegiance with two of his classmates (recorded at a field trip to Channel 11 that he had back in the late fall). He did a great job, confident, clear and perfect projection! Maybe he will be a newscaster one day. :)

The second grade also celebrated Chinese New Year this week. I love that they did this! It opens them to other cultures and ideas. Ben came home wearing a traditional Chinese peasant hat made of paper, counting in Chinese and showing me his math in Chinese characters, telling me all about the Year of the Rabbit, saying he was born in the Year of the Horse, and asking what year I was born in (Snake).Yesterday Zach came home with a permission slip for an upcoming trip to the Denver Capitol Building and the Denver Mint to support their unit on government. He is SO excited already! He also came home with bright purple hands from tie-dying shirts and socks in art class. Tie-Dye! How awesome is that?! Our art teacher is just incredible. Zach says fourth grade is purple-hands-down the coolest of grades.All the kids are thriving and growing and becoming there. I really do love our school.

5 comments:

Mandi said...

You are SO lucky!!!

Candace said...

I love it! Not only are they doing exciting things, they are doing creative, mind-expanding things!

The Nedrys said...

What awesome activities! It must be wonderful to send them to school knowing their bright little minds are truly being engaged! I love Josh's mural and Ben sure looks cute in that hat! I also found myself thinking I would like to color that dragon too! How fun!

maynardmoments said...

Oh yes, District 20. How excited I was to partake of its goodness. How sad I am that we cannot. Consider yourself and your kiddos very blessed. We are STILL on the hunt for a good school here. Mary is on the waiting for a charter school that we are hoping will be awesome! We will see. Josh is looking so much older, wow. He is so cute.

kendra said...

just a little teary-eyed as I read this...I miss that place and the schools, oh the schools... never forget your blessings, Conlins, cuz believe me not all schools are created equal.

Looks like the kids are having a blast and I love love love Josh's sunset. so sweet!