Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mommy's Barber Shop

From time to time I get this "antsy" feeling. I just have to do something. Anything to get moving...oddly enough the moving settles me. It often comes after a long period of business, followed by a lull, like the past couple of days have been after the last two weeks. When I was a kid, I would rearrange my room (those of you who knew me back then probably remember my frequent remodelings). Sometimes I clean like crazy. Which is why my house is either dirty because we are so busy, or freakishly clean because I have too much time on my hands. And which is why my floors are not only washed today, but also conditioned. Or I just reorganize everything, which my pantry is in desperate need of right now!

I guess I just have a hard time sitting still. This is why I like knitting and blogging. They are things to do in the evening while Adam and I watch the shows we like that keep me from actually having to sit still and do nothing but watch. Is this too big of a peek into insanity that is me?

Anyhow, from time my kids are victims of my "bustling," as Adam calls it. Sometimes it is a massive clean-out of all unnecessary toys (which just occurred Saturday), or a reorganizing of the toys to make them neater, or really anything to make it all more orderly, but last night it was the hair on their heads. I looked at the kids and thought, "What a gaggle of raggamuffins I have." So I took action.

Two of my least favorite mommy jobs are trimming fingernails (which is why my kids often look like mini-Draculas), and cutting hair (one teensy slip and...HOLE!). Adam always wants to save money by having me do it (he seems to think I am better at it than him, but maybe that is just an excuse because he doesn't want to do it either!), but it makes me nervous! However, last night I couldn't fight the antsy feeling, so today everyone, including Adam, is donning a new do! It didn't go too badly, although the last of Ben's summer blond came off, and I miss it already. But otherwise, there are only a few little "oopsies" and everyone looks a little less raggedy, if a tiny bit holey.

Hey, Merry Christmas all!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Ok Now I know another reason why we are best friends. I am EXACTLY the same way. I constantly rearranged my room when I was a kid. And you know I am constantly cleaning out the house repainting and rearranging the furniture now. And if its not nailed down in my house i will clean it, sell, it, or donate it. Forget sitting still on the couch. Why do you think I am on the computer so much. Ha Ha so funny. Everyone looks so cute. Sorry I missed you on the phone last night.

Cailean said...

Oh my, we are cut from the same mold! I am totally the same way and sometimes think I have some form of Mommy OCD. I just can't do one thing at a time and I have to be multitasking so I'm efficient. I wasn't always this bad and I think it's from having so many kids! So maybe that explains it for you too. I always rearranged my room too though when I was a kid. Anyway, I love the haircuts. I've been meaning to trim Elijah's hair because he's starting to sport a little bob! So yesterday I had a chance to do one side and then he took off for something and he's still got the other side yet to be done! It's actually hilarious because he looks like he's sporting a Flock of Seagulls haircut. Okay sorry so long. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Alea said...

You have some very handsome men in your life. Good job on the cuts crazy!

Adri said...

I'm the reluctant resident hair cutter over here, too. Although, I don't do girls hair...so Kate is looking a little ratty.

emily said...

you go colleen! they are all SO handsome - the girls are going wild!!

emily said...

ps - we do haircuts in the shower! i'm all about the clean up!