is what greets you when you walk in the front entry door to our home. There are 1,000 things I love about our house, but a few parts of our home are on that list we all have, you know the one: "Remodel As Soon As Monetarily Possible." And this chandelier, along with it's little brother, the dining room over-the-table light, are at the top of the list. To me they say, "Welcome to 1994!"
However, with the light that comes through our front window slowly changing angles as the sun morphs from a summer sun to a winter sun, we have found a new beauty in our little Conlin house ugly duckling. These days, when the light comes in through the high window above the door, right about noon, we get this...
The hideous lighting fixture has shown us its inner beauty. It made me think, how often we judge before we really get to know. Ahhh, you know you are a homemaker when your household fixtures are reminding you of those important life lessons. So now, while this chandelier is still so very '94, maybe it has earned itself a reprieve, or at least a move down the list, and the horrible upstairs bathroom linoleum (faux black marble-yowza!) will beat it out the door. But who knows, just as in the case of our chandelier, my home's not-so-lovely traits have shown me to look for beauty in unlikely places.
5 comments:
How poetic. My 1986 popcorn ceilings haven't shown their inner beauty yet.
colleen you wax poetic! and good for you for finding the happy thought about the things on your 'list' ... now if i could just find the happy thought about the smallness of my backyard and the largeness of my bedroom and ... ;) love ya!
It's almost like you have your own disco ball! When we first moved into our house we were wanting to modernize it. However, it's 1942 character wouldn't let us and we've grown to love the arch entry, moldings around the doors and windows, etc. I think our home is a reflection of us and I guess how we feel about our home is a reflection of how we see the world too.
k, so you always know the right things to say and I'm not kidding... Way to go to see the positive in 1994 and by the way, since when is 1994 old? Dang, time is flying without me. I keep having to remind myself that in time I will have my dream home. For now I will take a lesson from you and find the good in what I have.
Love your blog, Colleen! I'm subscribing today!
Post a Comment