Zach has played soccer since he was 3 1/2, and has great ball handling skills. This week he seems to finally have settled into this new level of play, since all of his soccer experience of the past has focused more on skills and sportsmanship than actually winning. Winning? What's that? But, I guess he is almost 8 and it is time to move into the "real" world of sports where someone is actually keeping track of who wins and who loses, as long as he remembers that in the end playing sports is about having fun, win or lose ("Did you have fun?" is the first question Adam and I ask at the end of each game). The first game I attended, I was a little overwhelmed, as one parent of a kid on Zach's team, in the U7/U8 division, was yelling, "SLIDE TACKLE! SLIDE TACKLE!" during the game. I'm thinking, "Wait, I'm not ready for this! He's only 7! What have I gotten my sensitive Zach into?" But Adam and the boys have been practicing a lot and talking about getting aggressive on the ball. This week, Zach was definitely on that ball and had a lot of great plays. I am proud of him for taking the skills he has been practicing and putting them into play.
That's my ball! Zach controlling the ball in a crowd.
Ben sticking out the Michael Jordan tongue of concentration. Hey there again, Coach.
Josh has loved getting into soccer. He has certainly watched from the sidelines for enough years, that it isn't surprising that he is already a great player. He has had a couple of break-away scores that are so cute, it is hard not to chuckle as he runs up the field on his little legs all covered in shorts and shin-guards. Josh loves the game, but I think, just as much, he loves the snacks and the parent tunnel at the end! He is having so much fun!
Josh as goalie...in these three-year-old games the goalie doesn't get much action, because there isn't enough control of the ball to ever really get it to the ends of the field!
Josh taking a turn running through the parent tunnel. Look at the pure bliss on his face!
3 comments:
yeah for soccer!!
oh, soccer! We are enjoying it too. So, I'm so jealous of your hikes. It's just not working out for us to go. The last one you went on looks awesome. We are going this saturday, oh wait Super Saturday... when can we go?!
By the way - Josh's face in the parents tunner - so priceless. That is why we spend ALL day (or evening for me)at soccer, right?
yeah for soccer..but in the northwest it's wet soccer! Good to see your cute boys!
Post a Comment